Monday, November 9, 2009

From Becky

I sent this to dad on October fourth at around two in the morning. Ang read it to him for me. Thanks Ang.

Hi Dad. It's late. I wish I could call you. I miss you.

This has been a bad week hey? I want you better so bad it hurts. And home. I really really want you to come home.

The thing is, you're pretty awesome. If you weren't such a great dad, if everything wasn't better with you around, if you didn't make everything seem all right, if you weren't so completely indispensable... This would be much easier.

But you are great, and everything is better with you. So you are indispensable. So please keep fighting. I know it's hard and I know you don't feel strong anymore. But you are. You're the strongest person I know and I can't imagine having to be here without you and your strength.

And I know it's awful to go through what you are going through, but you are doing it for all of us, and that makes you my hero in every way. Just like when I was a little girl and you would come to pick me up from school or wherever, and I remember so clearly feeling so proud that you were my dad. I can still see you walking across the gym towards me, so cheerful and handsome. In my little girls heart you were everything a dad should be.

I still feel proud. And all those things that make you feel weak, they only make me more proud that you are MY dad. They make you a bigger hero to me. Because you are doing this for all of us.

And Dad, no matter what happens, I will always feel that way. And I will always feel like I was the luckiest girl, just like I did when I was little. The luckiest to have a dad like you. The luckiest to hear you sing under your breath while you drive, the luckiest to listen to your lame jokes and to be teased by you, the luckiest to watch you wrestle with my boys, the luckiest to know you love me.

You are the best Dad.

I love you very much. Today and tomorrow and the next day and the day after that and the day after that.

Love, Becky

6 comments:

footsack said...

That was beautiful.

The Invisible Mo said...

Such a heartfelt note. I'm glad Ang read it to him. I'm sure it filled his heart!

Margaret said...

Very beautiful. Thank you, Becky, for sharing this with us.

Christine said...

That made me cry then and it makes me cry now. I am so glad that you wrote it to him and he got to hear that. He always knew that but it is so nice that you got to tell him one more time.

Sue said...

What a special memory for you!

Unknown said...

This is so sweet. I'm sure that he knew, but I just know it made him so happy to hear it.