Monday, January 21, 2008

Rigors

Johns white counts have hit bottom. This afternoon he got the chills and started shivering. The correct term for this is rigors (rygors) His nurse got right on this and had Dr. M. check him out. He got him on antibiotics (Cadillac version) right away before he spiked a fever. His temperature did go up to 38 C. but was back down to normal at 9:00 p.m. His nurse said there are very, very few patients who have undergone stem cell transplant who get away without having to have antibiotics so this is very normal. This antibiotic covers large groups of bacteria. In other words: DON'T WORRY! So I am trying not to worry. My new motto is: don't worry be praying.

They took a bunch of blood for cultures and are going to see what is growing there if anything. I am sure if there are any problems they will bring in the infectious disease people.

His esophagus is very sore. He is having difficulty swallowing so they have put him on a soft diet. I went and got him some Ensure at lunch. I would feel real bad for him about the soft diet but he really can't taste his food anyway.

He is on a lot of pain medication but seems to be tolerating it well. He is still clear headed if somewhat sleepy. He is having trouble staying awake but maybe it is merciful to be able to sleep a large portion of the day away.

7 comments:

Sue said...

I just keep thinking that this is the last valley before John is on his way up and out of all this. Then we can all put this behind us except to remind ourselves how precious life, health and family is. I pray that God will keep you all very healthy during this time.
Love you lots.

footsack said...

I agree with Susan. I know that going through this in our family does make one put things into perspective. It really is all about family.
We are also praying that this is the last hurdle for John and for you all.
Love you lots.

Margaret said...

I am with my sisters on this one. Losing Dad last summer and now praying John and your family through this makes me appreciate family and health on a whole new scale. We will continue to call on God our Father for continued healing. Thanks so much for the update. I know God doesn't need our details to take John through this, but it really helps me when I pray, knowing what is happening.

Jientje said...

Yes, I know what they are like, those rigors, I have seen it once, it's scary huh?
I'm still thinking of the both of you, I pray God will help you through this all! Hugs xxx

Carol said...

I look forward to the post that says John is done with all his therapies, and is on his way to feeling much better.

Prayers are sent your way.

Anonymous said...

I pray that God gives you guys peace and strength right now. I love you John.

Doft

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update Chris. WE are also praying for John and all of you as you embark on this last part of the treatment. Take care and luv you all:)
Carolyn