Sunday, January 20, 2008

So Far...Pretty Good!

Yesterday John's white cell count was .9 so today it is probably in the cellar. He is doing pretty good. He does not have a fever. His spirits are good and he is cheerful. He is having some problems with his skin breaking down easily. Dr. F. says this is the result of skin tocicity due to both the chemo and the preservative. They had to remove his pain patch because it gave him a burn where the adhesive touched his skin. He is recieving oral pain medications instead and seems to be doing O.K. with them. He was concerned because those meds had a tendency to make him a bit loopy. He seems to be clear headed to me so far. He has a bit of skin breaking down on his ankles so he is wearing socks all the time and has some cream for them. He cut his hands (paper cuts) and they take a long time to heal so he has to be careful with them. He has pretty much lost his sence of taste. It does have some positive aspects to it as he no longer complains about the hospital food seeing how he can't really taste it. This side affect can last up to three months. He does have sores in his mouth and in his throat. This is very normal and should go away as soon as his white cell counts start to come up.

This afternoon he is watching football so Angela and I are keeping ourselves amused by knitting. I need to go now because she needs me to come and help her out with her pattern. I hope I can figure it out. It is different when you have been doing the pattern yourself. You get a better sence of what is going on with it. I will keep you posted. Thank you all again for praying.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks so much for the updates, Chris. I check every day at least once. We will continue to pray for John. Sometimes I wish I couldn't taste food, maybe it would be a little easier to lose weight if I didn't enjoy food so much.

Becky said...

Mom. Sense does not have a "c" in it.

But I got the sence of what you were saying anyways. LOL.

footsack said...

Chris, this is what happens when you have kids that are teachers and probably specialized in grammar. :) LOL
I didn't even notice your spelling mistakes :)Thanks for all the news and the posts. I'm sure at times it must seem like unimportant things or maybe even just everyday things but to us out here, it is VERY special and I want to thank you and your girls for posting things that you may think as not so significant but it means so much to us out here.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I can't tell you how much it means to me even to hear things I may not understand fully and to you may seem kind of every day...we are just so thankful. I know it must be a chore at times and I appreciate your sacrifice for posting.
Love and prayers to you all.