Friday, November 13, 2009

From Margaret

I dreamed a few nights ago and John was in it for just a few "frames?" but it reminded me when I woke up about how John became such a great Dad. So I will share the memory.

We were living on the farm. I think it was our first winter there so I would have been 12 and John would have been 15 or just turned 16. It had melted enough for the ditches to be filled with water and then we had a cold snap so all the ditches were covered with ice. We all had skates and went skating along the ditches. We got quite far from home, possibly 2 or 3 miles, when I realized that my feet were cold. The others all wanted to keep going, but John came home with me. We were about half way home when my feet stopped hurting and I told John we could go back if he wanted. he said that we needed to get home and get my skates off. So we did. About 10 minutes after we got home, my feet started to hurt. They hurt so bad I was crying. Since Mom and Dad weren't home John took care of me. He got a basin of water and sat down and rubbed my feet with his hands in the water until they were thawed.

Even before John became a man, he had qualities that showed him to be a good husband and father later in life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Auntie Margaret, what a wonderful memory! What a good big brother he was, and your right, I think it was definitely a sign of what a great father and husband he would be. He was so caring!

Sue said...

I remember doing the same thing. playing and not paying attention to how far from home we would get. Then having to walk all the way back to the house when we were so cold. Remember that old tub we used to soak our feet in to warm them up?
It is nice that you had John there to take you home.

Christine said...

He probably save you a toe or two. LOL! What a nice memory.

Melanie said...

I love this story.