Thursday, November 12, 2009

From David

When I found out I was the going to be the donor I was very honoured and glad. Everyone was hoping that it would be me because I was the youngest and would therefore have the strongest and healthiest stem cells which would then give John the best possible chance at beating the cancer. It turned out that it didn't really make any difference at all. The cancer mutated and there was nothing that could be done. So from one point of view, me going to Seattle and doing the donation was kinda pointless. All I really did was throw smoke at a monster. I choose to look at it differently. The time that I spent there is something that I wouldn't trade for anything. Most of the days there I didn't really see John and Chris much till around 4:00 in the afternoon. I would walk to the clinic in the morning, do my blood work and then go and get my stem cell growth shots. After that I was free to wander the city. Which quickly became slightly boring.

John was usually in appointments all morning and then would go home for lunch and a nap. Then back to the clinic for a bit in the afternoon most of the time. I would usually head over at around 3 or 4 and we would sit and watch Mash for a bit. John hated commercials and would always mute the TV during them. Then we would start talking and he would forget that he had done it and the show would come back on and he would sit and watch with no sound and then suddenly realize this and laugh and turn the sound back on. We would have supper and then watch some more TV and visit until around 8:00 and then he would start getting tired, then he would drive me back to the hotel for the night.

I know it doesn't sound very exciting, but it was great. Just visiting and laughing together. Chris got sooooo sick of Mash. I will never be able to watch that show or hear that theme song without thinking of him.

We would often go up on the rooftop deck and watch the boats in the harbour with his binoculars. We would take turns and point out the fanciest and biggest yachts we could find. When we went out on the sailboat tour of the harbor we got to see them a little closer. It was great standing out on the deck of the boat with the wind and rain blowing in our faces. We didn't do it once the boat turned around and went into the wind though. Then it was just a little to cold. We were, after all, "just a couple of stubble jumpers and not old sea dogs" he told me.

These are the memories that I treasure and the reason that, to me, the whole trip was not a waste.

I wrote this song after John left us. I know that he is in heaven and he is watching over us all. I miss you brother...I love you forever.

5 comments:

footsack said...

That's awesome David. I know I heard it at the funeral but I couldn't really remember what it all said. It's a beautiful song! Thanks.

Christine said...

Thank you David. I am so glad that you got to spend the time that you did with us both. We didn't know at the time how little time we had left to be with John but we did really get to enjoy that time. We had dinner at Mikes Chili Parlor and that nice harbor cruise and yes...MASH. I have trouble watching Corner Gas. It makes me cry. Just a few days before he passed away, he was still watching Corner Gas and laughing as sick as he was.

Sue said...

Like Mitz I didn't really remember the words to that song. Beautiful!

I am so glad for you that you got to spend some good times with John.

Unknown said...

That song is so so beautiful. I absolutely love it. I'm really glad that you posted it so I can listen to it over and over.

Melanie said...

That's such a beautiful song, and of course made me cry, but more than that, I can't believe how much you look like a young version of Grandpa in this video, and then that really made me cry.
I'm so happy they're together. Uncle John, and Grandpa.