Wednesday, November 11, 2009

From Carrie

I remember being little. In some ways, I think this is when I knew my Uncle John the best.

He and my dad worked together at the grain elevator. Most of my interactions with him were sort of a result of a relationship with my parents, but it never felt that way. I always felt important to him. I loved the few times when we would pick up my dad or visit him at work, and Uncle John would be there. He had the best laugh and the best smile. I just loved seeing my Uncle John.

I think probably my fondest memories of him are talking to him on the phone. He would call to talk to my dad, but when I answered, I got to talk to him, too. Just thinking about it makes me smile. I can't remember anything that we specifically talked about; but I remember kneeling in the chair next to the counter on the old corded phone when I talked to him, and especially how much I enjoyed it. And I always had the feeling that he genuinely enjoyed it, too. He wasn't just humoring me. It was never just a "Hey, how're you doing? Great, can I talk to your dad?" He always took the time because he cared. He WANTED to talk to me. He loved me. And I loved him.

That's what it all measures up to: LOVE.


He just had so much love in his heart, for his family, for his friends, for everyone. For Jesus. It was all just so genuine.

He measured his life in love.

3 comments:

Sue said...

You are so right Carrie. He was genuine in his love for everyone!

footsack said...

That is so special Carrie! That is so much what I remember about him too!

Christine said...

That was what I so loved about John. He had no guile. What you saw is what you got. He was so very genuine.