Tuesday, November 10, 2009

From Angela

A letter from Dad:

Well here you are, finally on your way. Bet you thought sometimes it wasn't going to happen. I know I sure did, but I admire you hugely. (is that a word, hugely, oh well) You set a goal and you worked hard to achieve it. Hope the butterflies have all settled and you didn't have to puke. It's bad enough when you have to do that drunk but really bad sober and in public. But you wouldn't know about that would you, not my little girl.

What could I possibly tell you that might inspire you. Sad to say I don't remember saying very many enouraging or inspiring things to you as you were growing up. But I do remember all the things I did say that might have held you back. If I could take back all the things that were not the least bit fatherly. I would in a heart beat. But I can't. The only thing I can do is try and be a better father now and ask your forgiveness.

(that's it, i am writing the rest of this with a different pen, this one kind of blotches)

So what could I say that would inspire you to run faster, or farther and not hurt to the point where you want to lay down and cry.

Here it is!! Are you ready? Have fun. As much as possible try to enjoy the race. I remember you as a kid and you were not afraid to try new things. This race is case in point. You worked hard at the things you did, but you could always remember the key ingerdient to sports and that was to enjoy yourself. You were good at gymnastics, a good skater, trumpet player. You did kind of suck at soccer, but hey it was only one sport. You did all these things and you always had lots of friends, and you enjoyed them as much, I think, as the things themselves. So have fun. I am praying for you. Enjoy the trip, STAY SAFE and come home with lots of stories and pictures. I love you and I'm proud of you.

Dad.



This is the only thing from Dad I have in writing. There are two things I love about this letter. First, each page is numbered on the top right hand corner and there are only two pages. Second, Dad was always hard on himself. He always tried to be a better father and husband. He was never satisfied with it. That's what made him great. I remember all the things he would come and watch. I would try harder, jump higher, run faster and stretch further. Then I would look over to see if he saw. The thing is dad loved me regardless...even when I sucked at soccer. Even when I did things that weren't the least bit daughterly.

There was never a grey area. It was pure and it was simple.

9 comments:

Toad said...

I wish I could tell a different story, but its too close, too raw and way too hard to tell.

Unknown said...

Oh Ang! I just love this. So touching! I love when he writes about changing pens! You can just see how much he loves you no matter what, and how he's so proud of you! My favorite part:

"So what could I say that would inspire you to run faster, or farther and not hurt to the point where you want to lay down and cry.

Here it is!! Are you ready? Have fun. As much as possible try to enjoy the race."

Melanie said...

So amazing. Oh, what an amazing dad. Thanks for letting us read this Angie. It's beautiful

The Invisible Mo said...

I love this.

Sue said...

What an amazing treasure! He was hard on himself wasn't he? Just like his Dad. But he was so proud of his kids!

Margaret said...

He was a great Dad, just like his Dad before him. Thank you Ang, for sharing that letter with us.

Christine said...

His biggest dream for all of you: That you would have a great life and enjoy all your experiences to to max.

He was so excited for you when you went to Switzerland and I know that he was excited for you to go to El Salvador. He would have been waiting home here anxiously to hear how it all went. You have a fantastic trip and just cease every moment.

footsack said...

Thanks for sharing! That was beautiful!!

Becky said...

I wish I had something from Dad in writing. I wish I'd had him write letters to all the kids before he left for Seattle. If I would have thought of it, I would have made him, and I bet he would have done it. Sigh. They will have to be happy with his comments on their blogs, and so will I.

Awe man. Now I'm crying again. Argh.